Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Arrival

Upon arrival, I completed my Chinese information card indicating how long I would stay and where I would be staying. In addition, I was also require to complete a health information card for the reporting of any flu-like symptoms. I had none. Contrary to what I had heard, no thermal temperature scan was required. After that, my passport was thoroughly reviewed by multiple Chinese customs officials. They even examined it with some sort of magnifying device and requested me to produce additional identification. OK, so the passport photo was from 2002 and I must have looked extra suspicios in a striped Longhorn polo. I was eventually permitted to pass through.

My host was waiting for me with a sign but he missed seeing me in the wave of tourists. We finally connected and we were off to check into my hotel. Less than an hour later we were standing in the middle of Tienamen Square. The whole area is decked out preparing for the 60 th anniversary celebration of the People's Republic which will occur on Oct 1st.

I'm now in bed with a belly full of traditional pork and spring rolls and struggling to keep my eyes open. I had very little sleep on either leg of the trip. Lucky for me the middle seat was empty on the flight from Newark to Beijing.

Weather is great here temperature wise (74 F), but it's very hazy from the pollution. More to come tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment